Corporate Secretary Webinar – Human capital: How boards and governance teams can address growing scrutiny
Wednesday, March 18, 2020
8.00 am PDT / 11.00 am EDT / 3.00 pm GMT / 4.00 pm CET
Duration: 30 minutes
Human capital management has fast become a leading concern for investors. It’s also an area that corporate secretaries, general counsel and other governance professionals need to help their boards and companies address.
A recent survey by the EY Center for Board Matters finds that almost two thirds of governance specialists at more than 60 institutional investors managing a combined $35 trillion in assets see talent management – in reference to the workforce as a whole – as the stand-out issue factoring into companies’ strategic success over the next three to five years.
Sixty-six percent of respondents point to workforce diversity as the human capital component they are most focused on. This is followed by board oversight of human capital management and workforce compensation, including pay equity.
In addition, SEC plans to modernize corporate reporting include adding as a topic for disclosure human capital resources, such as any human capital measures or objectives that management focuses on in managing the business.
Our panel of experts will discuss how general counsel can best respond to this focus on human capital, answering questions such as:
• What human capital issues are investors focusing on, and what are their expectations?
• What types of shareholder proposals are being advanced regarding human capital?
• Are institutional investors expected to vote against boards that aren’t addressing these issues?
• What is the board’s role regarding human capital management?
• What can governance teams do to help their board tackle issues such as workforce diversity and pay equity?
• How can companies best report on human capital issues, and what are useful metrics?
• What issues are raised by the SEC’s proposed human capital-related changes to Regulation SK?
• How should companies approach shareholder engagement on human capital issues?
|Jonathan Bailey, managing director and head of ESG Investing, Neuberger Berman|
|John Kim, lead securities counsel, GM|
|Dottie Schindlinger, executive director, Diligent Institute|
|Moderator: Ben Maiden, editor-at-large, Corporate Secretary|
Short, sharp and packed with expert insight, this webinar will get you up to speed on these critical issues in just 30 minutes. Sign up to BrightTALK to view this essential briefing and be informed of future webinars produced by Corporate Secretary.