Webinar – Proxy season 2020: Governance lessons learned and what they mean for 2021
In partnership with
Tuesday, July 14, 2020
8.00 am PDT / 11.00 am EDT / 4.00 pm BST / 5.00 pm CET
Duration: 45 minutes
Proxy season 2020 has taken place amid unprecedented turmoil. In the face of the Covid-19 pandemic and accompanying economic and social challenges, companies have been battling to stay operational and afloat while boards and governance teams seek new ways to meet investors’ needs for information and engagement.
Among other things, many companies have switched to holding virtual AGMs. Despite early predictions that the crisis would distract investors from ESG-related issues, the opposite has become apparent, with a series of significant shareholder votes at those AGMs. Meanwhile, companies and investors have been navigating a new regulatory roadmap for getting such proposals on the proxy ballot.
Our panel of experts will explore these and other developments to highlight key lessons for general counsel, corporate secretaries and governance professionals from the 2020 proxy season and how they can be applied in the future.
Speakers will answer questions such as:
- What impact did the move to virtual AGMs have on shareholder participation, and what best practices have emerged from a governance perspective?
- What are the prospects for virtual and hybrid AGMs in 2021?
- What trends emerged in terms of shareholder proposals and voting patterns in 2020?
- What issues may be on the agenda for proxy season 2021?
- How has the focus on human capital management during the pandemic affected shareholder engagement during the proxy season?
- What was the impact of the SEC’s revised approach to handling companies’ requests to exclude shareholder proposals? How might that affect companies and investors in the future?
- How might proposed changes to Rule 14a-8 affect future proxy seasons?
|Moderator: Ben Maiden, editor-at-large, Corporate Secretary|
|John Kim, lead securities counsel, GM|
|Susan Baker, shareholder advocate, Trillium Asset Management|
|Christopher Ward, VP client solutions, EQ|
Short, sharp and packed with expert insight, this webinar will get you up to speed on these critical issues in just 45 minutes. Sign up to BrightTALK to view this essential briefing and be informed of future webinars produced by Corporate Secretary.